Afternoon Production Supervisor
City : Edmonton
Job descriptionReporting to the Plant Manager, the Afternoon Production Supervisor will oversee the day-to-day activities of all departments within the plant (extrusion, conversion and recycling) with a focus on consistently promoting Polykar’s strong safety culture. The Production Supervisor is a hands-on people leader and is responsible for the manufacturing of Polykar’s products and the operational aspects of manufacturing including monitoring productivity, staffing, planning, maintaining production standards, safe and efficient operations as well as ensuring all employees are adhering to Polykar policies and procedures. This position works a five day a week afternoon shift (3 pm – 11 pm).
- Lead, develop and retain employee engagement by creating an environment of continuous improvement, optimizing schedule adherence, refining operational efficiency, and increasing profitability and productivity.
- Coordinate and supervise the daily activities of staff.
- Maintain staff by participating in the recruiting, selecting, and orienting process.
- Responsible for developing, coaching and training employees; addressing employee performance and concerns as they arise.
- Effectively work with all departments at Polykar to ensure corporate goals and initiatives are met.
- Ensure that all employees are performing their duties safely and addressing, adhering to safety protocols and reporting of any health and Safety issues; lead a culture of safety using systems of accountability and recognition
- Review production schedules and direct adjustments based on the availability of personnel, equipment and materials.
- Work closely with Quality to ensure products are within standards (BRC and ISO standards and other certified procedures).
- Lead operational excellence initiatives to improve operational efficiencies within areas of responsibility.
- Be an ambassador for health and safety and ensure compliance with occupational health and safety rules at all times; including participating in accident and incident investigations, providing recommendations, identifying hazards, and implementing safe work practices.
- On an on-going basis, monitors all aspects of plant operations in order to identify cost saving strategies. Identifies targeted savings figures and manages operations to meet or exceed desired goals.
- Develop and apply Key Performance Indicators for assessing productivity and profitability.
- Responsible for ERP activities associated with job creation and closing.
- Provides direction to ensure and coordinate sustained supply of all raw materials and establish anticipated growth rates.
- Assist with achieve annual budget for department to utilize resources effectively and efficiently to meet business goals.
- Effective cross-shift communication with fellow team mates to ensure pertinent information is communicated.
- All other duties as required.
- Relevant post secondary education within a operations management or an equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervision experience within a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in a chemical/plastics environment would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the desire to inspire and coach staff.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal skills coupled with strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with a variety of personalities in a dynamic environment.
- Advanced knowledge of manufacturing and production processes/procedures.
- Strong computer skills; previous ERP experience an asset.
- Superior analytical/problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Proactive mindset and the ability to self-motivate.
About UsOur Mission
We are an innovative, world-class manufacturer of sustainable packaging solutions.
Purpose, passion and pride, from our people to yours.
Driven by operational excellence, we will lead in sustainable flexible packaging solutions, and double our sales in the next five years through geographical expansion.