Quality Control Lab Technician
City : Edmonton
Job descriptionReporting directly to the Director of Quality Assurance and Technical Services, Montreal with a dotted line to the Plant Manager in Edmonton, the Quality Control Lab Technician (QC Lab Technician) is responsible for sampling, testing, recording, and analyzing lab results as part of the Technical Department. The materials being tested range from raw material resins, roll stock film retain samples and converted bag samples. The QC Lab Technician provides technical support to ensure effective and efficient lab function, while adhering to product quality, security, and safety guidelines outlined in the company’s ISO and BRCGS certifications.
- Performs product inspection by quantitative and qualitative analysis as per the company quality control plan to validate product specifications and to ensure that they meet customer quality requirements.
- Performs laboratory material property testing such as: Tensile Strength, Impact Strength, Tear Strength, Coefficient of Friction, Film Thickness, Gloss, Opacity, Haze, Melt Index, and Film Color Measurements.
- Records lab test results in the Lab Data Entry System.
- Prepares product Certificate of Analysis documents and sends them to designated customers.
- Circulates on a routine basis to gather and test all incoming raw material resins, mono and coextrusion retained samples, and converted bag samples.
- Performs root cause analysis for quality control non-conformities and customer complaints.
- Drives the implementation corrective actions (CAPA) when required.
- Implementation and maintenance of quality systems in line with the needs of the company and the BRCGS, ISO9001 and 14000 standards.
- Prepares report to communicate outcomes of quality activities.
- Identifies, organizes, and files all gathered retained samples as per lab retain sample control plan.
- Supports manufacturing on-site during trials and assists for materials-related root cause investigation.
- Coordinates with lab equipment calibration service suppliers to ensure that the master lab calibration is up to date.
- Maintains cleanliness, org
- University degree in a related discipline preferred.
- 2-4 years experience in similar role and industry, experience in the polyethylene blown film extrusion flexible packaging industry.
- Ability to ensure that the products meet relevant quality control standards.
- Good organisational skills and a methodical approach to work.
- The ability to prioritise workloads and meet testing frequency requirements.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in English required (verbal and written); ability to communicate in French would be an asset.
- Good team working skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Work and Excel; along with the ability to navigate and effectively use the company’s ERP system.
- Ability to work effectively through all levels of the organization to consistently drive profitable growth.
- Team player with ability to influence without direct authority.
- Good data collection, management, and reporting skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Experience with implementation of corrective action programs.
- Must be able to lift 20 – 30 lbs.
- Ability to work shift work and proven reliability to previous roles.
About UsOur Mission
We are an innovative, world-class manufacturer of sustainable packaging solutions.
Purpose, passion and pride, from our people to yours.
Driven by operational excellence, we will lead in sustainable flexible packaging solutions, and double our sales in the next five years through geographical expansion.