Technical Packaging Engineer (Specialist)
City : Montréal
Job descriptionThe Technical Packaging Specialist will be responsible for leading projects involving the design, innovation, and improvement of packaging films based on Polykar’s products. They will also provide technical expertise in cost reduction and raw material advancements and provide technical support to purchasing, operations and sales departments. They will perform all responsibilities based on required food safety regulations (FDA and BRCGS) wherever required.
- Coordinate laboratory testing, including developing experimentation instructions, supervising experimental production, and ensuring accurate lab tests/trial conditions recording.
- Design experiments to provide data-based conclusions about a process or product performance.
- Summarize experiment results and conclusions, updating project status reports and attending regular product development meetings.
- Develop and maintain product bill of materials, production dockets, technical data sheets, standard operating procedures (SOP) and product specifications.
- Working closely with the suppliers and quality assurance specialist to ensure that all regulatory requirements are satisfied.
- Writes technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations.
- Supports manufacturing on-site during trials and assists for materials-related root cause investigation.
- Identify/imitate and support cost reduction opportunities/projects related to raw materials for commercial products by evaluating manufacturing processes while maintaining quality standards.
- Provide work direction, training and mentoring to QC/RD technicians for lab analysis tests.
- Assists with root cause analysis and implementing corrective actions (CAPA) alongside Quality assurance specialist.
- Complete yearly technical descriptions to satisfy the requirements of the Revenue Canada R&D Tax Credit Program (SR&ED).
- Ensure a safe working environment and perform all duties safely and professionally.
- Assist production in the following areas: Resolve problems, quality deficiencies and capacity restrictions to optimize processes.
- Any other tasks and work and responsibilities based on business requirements assigned by the direct manager.
- B.Sc. degree in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, or Packaging Science.
- Preferred 5 years experience in plastic manufacturing industry, as process engineer or packaging development.
- Ability to drive new product development and support the commercialization of products.
- Team player with ability to work with various stake holders.
- Strong technical aptitude with expertise in polymer extrusion processes and materials. A good base in polymer chemistry and an understanding of plastics extrusion and converting equipment.
- Strong project management and time management skills required. Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving skills and an aptitude for detail required.
- A requirement for sound judgment and decision-making skills, organizational skills, working well under pressure, possession of a high level of integrity and work values, and facilitating the resolution of complex issues.
- High proficiency level with MS Office applications required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (English and French).
- Ability to work well in a fast pace and high-pressure environment, prioritize and multi task.
- Prior experience working in a GMP and food safe, ISO certified production plants.
- Ability to handle confidential business information.
- Ability to travel (10-20%).
- Collective insurance program
- Uniform is provided
- Safety boots are provided
- Bonus program based on production results
About UsOur Mission
We are an innovative, world-class manufacturer of sustainable packaging solutions.
Purpose, passion and pride, from our people to yours.
Driven by operational excellence, we will lead in sustainable flexible packaging solutions, and double our sales in the next five years through geographical expansion.